US technology and telecoms companies still do not know whether they will be able to sell to Huawei after Monday, when a temporary export licence runs out, leaving many in the industry frustrated over the lack of information from the Trump administration.

Companies such as Google, Qualcomm and Broadcom have not been told whether a temporary licence allowing companies to export to the Chinese telecoms equipment maker in certain circumstances will be renewed when it runs out on Monday.

The administration granted the licence as a stopgap earlier this year after its move to ban all US exports to Huawei was met with opposition from some of the biggest US technology companies.

Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, said earlier this week that he expected to provide an update on the situation on Monday, but industry representatives say the late notice has led to problems with managing supply chains.

The commerce department would not comment further on whether Mr Ross planned to announce an extension, as most in the industry assume, or to change the administration’s policy.

The uncertainty over Huawei licences comes amid a flare-up in trade tensions between Washington and Beijing, with the US planning to slap new tariffs on more than $300bn of Chinese products in the coming months, beginning in September.  […]